Parenting Pamphlet –Enhance App Generation P/C relationship
E-Learning Parent’s Tips
Parents discipline Raiders
Internet Use Agreement (Sample)
13 Parenting Methods for Apps Generation
- Understanding the Internet and its culture through interaction with your children and self-experience. With attitude of “not knowing” musted of authoritarian parenting at home, you would enter the youth’s world and gain their respect easier.
2. Drop criticism, lecturing and remindign, focus on listening
- when facing internet addiction, parents should learn more on the reason behind and listen to your children. Try to understand their current stnation and emotion. Do not jump to conclusion to deny the value and the needs of using the Internet.
3. Avoid wearing ‘super strong radar’ armour, try to relax and remain calm
- Closely monitoring your children will only magnified their weakness in your eyes. Excessive worrying or overreacting will only backfire and make children dave not to communicate with you.
4. Respect each other
- As the children grow older, parents need to respect their privacy and their rights to participate.Parents shall not peek at children’s social webpages, web-chat contents,etc. Mstead , encourage children to have more participation in decision-making at home (including the suggestion of daily internet use duration.)
5. Carefully pick the use of words, mood and tone of speaking. Avoid personal attacks
- Parenting is about “educating” children but not “venting” anger.Excessive rebuking or personal attacks will only lead children to a more rebellious state. This will not only harm the parent-children relationship, but parents will also unable to effectively convey their messages to your messages to children.
6. When children gains improvement, give them appropriate recognition compliment and encouragement
- Do not be stingy in praises. When you discover your children show improvement in their behavior dealing with the Internet, they give recognition and encouragement so that they are motivated to improve their behaviour further .
7. Negotiate with the children
- Under a calm environment and atmosphere, sit down with the children to discuss set a set of clear, specific and reasonable internet use rules and it has to be agreed by both parties. Both parties should also clearly understand the consequences of obeying and breaking the rules.
8. Help children to develop social interaction and other entertainments/ interests
- Think about this: If you only have the options of “housework chores” and “watching drama”, which one would you choose? Similarly, apart from “Studying” and “Online activities”, parents could also encourage their children to have more involvement in their favourite extracurricular activities to nurture their hobbies and entertainment.
9. Set an Example
- If you hope that your children will not be fixated in the online world, then parents should set an example and not be indulged in the Internet, your career and even your own children.
10. Do not be afraid of Internet, continue to execute the role and responsibility as parents
- Children may be the experts of the Internet but this does not mean that they are experts in other areas (Interpersonal relationship, social morality and responsibility). Parents should continue to nurture their children with proper ethic and legal knowledge to prevent them from doing irresponsible acts on the Internet.
11. Develop and maintain a harmonious parent-children relationship
- A harmonious parent-children relationship is always crucial in improving the children’s behavioral problems. Parents could try to create a relaxed, cheerful and positive parent-children relationship at home. Through that, it will be easier for children to take your advice.
12. When in need, ask assistance from other
- Parents are not “alone” when facing the Internet usage problem of the children. Teachers and social workers are your important partners!
13. Never give up on your children
- There may also be relapse in the behavior in using the Internet among the children (even though the behavior has improved for a period, it to its original state afterwards). Parents should show appropriate patient and tolerance. Do not give up easily just because the relapse happens once or twice.
Health Net music Quotations
(For reference only, please use appropriately according to the age of the children, parent-children relationship and etc.)
1. Open-ended question
- Use open-ended question to replace comment.
- What was that blinking stuff on the monitor? It looks interesting!
- What is your opinion on people that uploads pornographic video on the Internet?
2. Provide concrete suggestion, respond to children’s needs.
- “If you finish homework,and let me check it,I’ll let you use the computer for 30 minutes.(Only suitable for junior high children and below.)
- “I’m glad that you’re doing well with your studies, but you seem to have fewer gathering with your friends, Why don’t you invite them to our house for a get together?”
3. Provide freedom, let the children understand the responsibility and the consequences.
- “Maybe you are really into the game, but we have agreed to turn off the computer by 10 o’clock. Do you still remember why?” (suitable for older children)
- “If you keeping using the computer, you’ll need to work all night to complete your homework and may be late for school tomorrow then will be punished by teacher.”
4. Understand the needs of the youth during the growing process
- “I understand that you like to chat on the computer your friends so that it’s easier for you to get along with them when you’re back in school, yet I hope you can manage your time wisely!”
- “I understand that you really want to meet more new friends online. It’s exciting and you can easily meet another friend.If you find,then uninteresting. However, I’m worried that you may meet people with bad motives.”
- “I understand that you’re curious with the opposite sex, while you can easily attract each other.But I hope you can choose your friend wisely and be alert to have a clear bound any when interacting with the opposite sex.”
5. Strengthen two-way communication and show your care
- “I’ve read a newspaper article about a girl who was having a date with an online friend, and being chanted on. Have you heard about it?”
- “I saw tears in your eyes when you were looking at the screen just now, Is there something that made you unhappy ? You can talk to me if you feel comfortable. ”
- “You’ve been looking at the screen for more than two hours. How about taking rest? Even for a sip of water.”
6. Educate youth on healthy use of the computer/ Internet principles
- Experts said that you need to rest your eyes for 10 minutes after every 40 minutes of computer use,to prevent your eyes from getting dry and relax the muscles.
- “The internet is not necessarily a bad thing, but if you break your promise, it’s a sign that you’ve lost self-discipline and self-control, which you cannot ignore.”
- “I’ve noticed that you’ve scolded your friends with foul languages… If you were them, how would you feel?”
7. Increase Internet Safety Awareness among the Youths
- “I trust that you are mature enough to judge what you should or shouldn’t say to your online friends. I hope you will protect your privacy by not sharing things like address sand phone number with them.”
- “I know you will meet up your online friends from time to time. What do you do protect yourself?”